The hotel is placed in the old medieval palace that belonged to the Count of Altamira. Today from the rooms facing Rua Ameas one can watch the bustle from the Plaza de Abastos. All the space that is now occupied by this big market place was part of the palace gardens in ancient times. The original palace lands extended then from Saint Felix church to the road the leads until Saint Augustine square.
This symbolic building where the noble family lived very close to the University was demolished in the 19th century. Today some remains of the old period can be seen in the building’s basement such as an old well and the original pillars. Before being transformed into a hotel this building was a clothes department store and still today maintains the original pine tree wooden floors, recovered when the building was restored into a hotel.
The project of the present building is a work of the architecture studio Creus y Carrasco shaping into a 16 room boutique hotel that maintains the spirit of this historic building where elements such as wood and stone have been maintained.
The Altamira mansion had a shaping focused to the daydreaming life of its owners, protected from other people’s look and committed to the inner escape at the own garden. This manor consisted on basement, main floor and attic following the framework of Galician urban palaces (Pazos). Gardens had vegetable gardens, fountain, well and stairway.
The Altamira family was one of the main landowners in Santiago. Apart from all the area covering today’s Plaza de Abastos, San Lorenzo’s Monastery and its impressive oak woods were of its property until it was donated in 1546. 30 years later started its transformation into a public park with the construction of the first promenades.